Tuesday, April 15, 2008

WNM - Openings & Justifications

This book seems much easier to read than the Handa book. I like how Wysocki is challenging the reader to go beyond the tools that are used for writing and reading as of now. Since times are changing we shouldn't remain stagnant in the world of writing. We should expand our horizons and use new materials. These materials can enhance our writing and reading. Since times are constantly changing and the computer world is moving into so many different arenas we need to try to incorporate these into our everyday lives.
The activities she included at the end of the chapter were really neat. My favorite was "colorful handwriting". I thought about how difficult it could be to write an entire 2 page paper in crayon. I'm a little anal and I like sharp points so I would have to write in many different colors and keep sharpening my crayons. I also liked "The Attentions of a Visual World" that one reminded me of the stupid games I end up playing at baby showers and bridal showers. The bride or mother-to-be has to leave the room and we have to remember the details of what they were wearing. Now that game can pay off for me I can use it in the classroom.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yes, speaking of crayons - I came across the "anti-coloring book" in the tutoring room today.

see: http://www.susanstriker.com/

I love the idea that kids are provided a space to color, but they must also participate in the definition of that space - of what to color. No longer are they a passive participant by staying in the lines. They create the lines. They color them. I love the direction of this!